Soil gets scored on the pH scale with a pH of 1 being the most acid and pH of 14 being the most alkaline.
Most grasses enjoy growing in a slightly acid soil with a pH of about 6.5 to 7.0. Soil in western Pa. is typically highly acidic. Liming helps to balance your soils pH.
Advantages of balanced soil pH...
- Nutrients in soil are more readily available in grass plants
- Greater response from fertilizer application
- More microorganism activity to help decompose thatch
- Decreased chance of toxic substance uptake by grass plants
- Reduced incidence of some turf diseases
- Increased turf vigor to crowd out weeds and resist insects
- Better overall turf quality
- Promotes deeper rooting which increases drought tolerance